Friday, February 8, 2008

Cultivating Contentment

Last Sunday I had mixed feelings about going to church. I really wanted to go but my husband was on-call Saturday night and was going to be coming home after we left and I wanted to see him. I also had wings to make for the Super Bowl party. I looked up the church's website and saw our Pastor was talking about "cultivating contentment" and decided that I wanted to hear it. God has been working in my life lately on being happy in whatever situation I am in. He has put me there for a reason and it's my job to patiently wait it out. So, we bundled up, left a note for Carl and headed out.

My little girl loves the worship part of church and sings along and dances to the songs, which just melts my heart! Just as the worship part ended another mother and her 10 1/2 month daughter come into the "family room" in the back of the sanctuary (where we normally sit so she play and crawl around during the service). We were chatting away and before I realized it, we had talked through almost the whole sermon. The bits and pieces I caught were great and so after it was over I went to the bookstore and purchased a CD of the sermon to listen to on my way down to work that week.

Tuesday morning, I headed out to work. I popped the CD in the deck and we were on our way (see previous post for my events of the morning). The sermon was awesome. He talked about finances and being content with what God has given you, giving back to Him, and earthly possessions including food. Did you know that we spend more on ice cream every year than the estimated annual total needed to provide clean water and safe sewers for the world's population?! Another area he touched on was that as long as you are following God's will in your life it is okay to have things...some people are just blessed that way...just make sure you keep yourself in check. One quote that he provided was "All earthly joy begins pleasantly but at the end it gnaws and kills" Thomas A Kempis. It was a great reminder that earthly things are just that...it's like the famous quote that you never see a hearse hauling a U-Hall.

If you want to listen to the sermon go to Trinity Church. At the top click on resources and then either "listen" or "podcasts". If you have an extra 30 minutes I would highly recommend it...you won't be disappointed...in fact you'll probably be motivated after you listen...I sure was!

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal" - Matthew 6:19

No comments: